Friday, September 17, 2010

Mech #3

This week I carried on with modelling, rigging and animating another mech. Kai had already done up a few concepts and we all chose which one we wanted to try complete. I chose a rather strangely structure mech, the legs remind me of a pair of bird legs. Once again I modelled, rigged and animated this mech.

The concept art for this mech was once again great, it is really great having a concept artist like Kai.

Concept Art:
Fig 1.1) Front and Side View

I had to change up a thing here and there to get the model in 3d to look and 'feel' right. I had to make changes for some of the joints to get them to look functional. After discussing it with Gordon, I also decided I would leave the legs straight instead of bringing the feet closer together like in the concept.

3D Models:

Fig 2.1) Front View

Fig 2.2) Side View

Fig 2.3) Perspective View

I have started to get use to rigging now, especially for legs. I managed to rig this mech very quickly and easily compared to the rest. I did a pretty basic leg setup, a joint for each rotational point and an IKhandle from the hip to ankle. Again, I did not have to rig the upper body of this mech as it will rotate according to the player. The only down side to this rig setup is that I don't have as much control over the rotational amounts of the bones in-between the hip and ankle.

Rigging:

Fig 3.1) Rig Setup

With this rig setup it was easier to animate than I thought it would be. I still have to check with Gordan if he is pleased with the movement this rig setup allows. I am pleased with the result I have achieved although I think there is room for improvement.

Animation:


That is it the last mech I will be doing for now. I will be moving on to do a few weapon models and hopefully get them ready for this next week.

As always, thanks for reading and feel free to comment (or criticize if you really must). Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment