Saturday, August 21, 2010

I'm Back

So, it has been a while since my last post and with a new semester comes new posting.

Before my break I was working on a zombie RTS/tower defense, needless to say it was quite the adventure. Unfortunately we ran out of time and had to butcher out a lot of our intended features and the game turned out to be a tower defense game with absolutely no RTS elements to it. This made it just like every other tower defense game out there. But it was still an experience and I definitely learnt a lot from it.

I think the most important thing I learnt from Zombies would be SCOPE. Have a realistic scope for any project you are working on, especially if you have limited time, skills and experience. It doesn't help having one coder (who did a fantastic job) trying to code the whole game either.

Not to mention having two or three artist without any direction to a specific art style. This leads me to the second thing I learnt. Make a DESIGN DOCUMENT for the whole team to follow. This should contain game features the coders have to create to the look and feel of game assets for artists. In other words everything that has to do with the game. The clearer everyone's understanding about the game, the better.

Now I could go on and on about everything else I learnt and write a book about it, but I think I'll leave it for now.

Have you been involved in any projects that didn't go according to plan? Feel free to sure your experience right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment